Math Newsletter

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Our First Week

Pictures to come later tonight.

Dates to Know
August
26 - Non-uniform dress day
30 – Volunteer Orientation at Upper Campus (5-5:30pm); 
3rd-5th Grade Parent Orientation (5:30-6:15pm or 6:30-7:15pm)



Coming Up This Week
Math - Module 1
Multiplication and the Meaning of Factors
Wednesday - Math Quiz on lessons 1-3
Reading - The Big Show, Amazing Grace
Skills - character traits
Science - Animals and their environment
Social Studies - Basic map skills (the continents, oceans, compass rose, etc)
Friday - Quiz on key geography concepts (list will come home Monday)



Image result for community
Building Community
Happy first week of school Gators!!! We have had a great week this week and feel as if the students enjoyed themselves. We worked on building community skills and changing our mindset. I believe that relationships are very important in reaching the students, helping them achieve, and becoming more comfortable and trustworthy of us and their fellow classmates. Each month we will be focusing on one of the 7 habits. We focused on the "Power of Yet". I want the students to change their mindset and realize that everything is not meant to be easy, but we have to work at them. I want them to not become frustrated and get in the mindset of telling themselves not that "I don't get it" but "I don't have it YET!" We will be working on this process thought throughout the year and I would appreciate it if you can reinforce it at home. Once again, thank you to both you and your child for making this week a wonderful week for us and we look forward to this being a successful year for everyone!!!




Image result for medal

Reading Challenge Medal
Reading Challenge Medal Did your child participate in the Richland County Library Summer Reading program this summer? If they did and received their medals, they will have an opportunity to go to the Game Truck Tuesday. All they need to do is bring their reading medal to Mrs. Ryan by Friday, September 4th. She will keep them and return them back on the day they go to the truck. If they are not a gamer, they can wait until the first book fair and receive a free book instead. They just need to let Mrs. Ryan know when they give her their medal.



Image result for class dojo

Class Dojo 
I will be using Class Dojo to monitor behavior. Though, I’ve used it before, there are some components that are new to me. I feel like it would be a great way to monitor behavior and you would have instant feedback. I tried to make it user and reader friendly without overpopulating it with too many buttons. Parent letters will come home Monday so that both you and your child can log on. They can even go in and customize their monster. If your letter does not make it home, please send a note in your child’s agenda or in an email to one of us and we will resend it. Also, let me know your feelings (positive and negative) about this after I have used it a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment